Pages

Wednesday 13 March 2013

Snow day!

On Monday night it began to snow, and it snowed so heavily overnight that yesterday work was closed. Brucie bastard bonus! 

It's been a while since I've had a day off with nothing that specifically needed doing and I wasn't ill, so naturally I stuck on a couple of films and got sewing.

I'm currently working on log cabin blocks in half bright, saturated prints and half muted greys, pastels and white. Here is one. It's a bit crumpled!


Each one of these blocks measures about two feet across. Once I've made nine or twelve I'll start figuring out how to arrange them into a quilt top. The fabrics are a real mixture - in the block above, there are prints by Amy Butler and Kaffe Fassett, at least one from Liberty, several shweshwe prints I bought in South Africa, and various others from my stash.

The finished quilt is going to be for my mum and dad. Mum keeps talking about commissioning a quilt from me, but she doesn't know exactly how she wants it to look -- so I figured I might as well start and then surprise her with this design.

Also yesterday -- since I clearly don't have enough to do already! -- I found myself fiddling about with my box of scraps, and before I knew it, this was happening:



I love the way they look on the back as you start to piece them.



This might end up being my in-front-of-the-telly project for the next however long. There's something oddly meditative about hand-sewing like this.

I've been meaning to post for ages anyway -- so in the next couple of days, I'll see if I can put up a few of the things I've finished recently.

No comments:

Post a Comment